Sustainability at Peaks Place
Participation in SWISSTAINABLE by Switzerland Tourism
Our commitment to an intact environment
The Peaks Place participates in «SWISSTAINABLE», the sustainability program of Switzerland Tourism. This sustainability program is not intended to create a new certification, but rather to give you as a guest more orientation. At the same time, we want to be a part of this movement, which we hope will soon involve the entire swiss tourism industry.
The Peaks Place is committed to a sustainable corporate management and is continuously developing its operations, whether in the hotel, the restaurant or the spa and wellness, in the direction of sustainability. To do so, we have developed a corresponding package of measures together with Switzerland Tourism, which will be implemented by the end of 2024.
What you can do as a guest
We are aware of the responsibility for a sustainable development of our business and do our very best to ensure that our grandchildren will still be able to travel and experience our destination in all its fascinating beauty and diversity – sustainability seen as «grandchild compatibility».
We are thereby contributing to the implementation of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) established by the UN and to the Federal Council’s Sustainable Development Strategy 2030, as well as to Switzerland’s positioning as a sustainable travel destination.
We always consider ecological, social and economic aspects in all our decisions and control them with a prudent management.
The joint commitment forms the basis of the Swisstainable program. It describes the values and the responsibility which we assume as Peaks Place. It also shows the twelve aspects that were evaluated in the sustainability check. We identify with the commitment to sustainability of swiss tourism, consider sustainability aspects in all our decisions and meet the following requirements:
- We explicitly anchor sustainability efforts in our corporate respectively business strategy, communicate them internally and externally, concretize them with measures and implement them with determination.
- We comply with legal requirements in all areas.
- We have a sustainability manager to ensure the implementation of our sustainability requirements.
- We fulfill any specific requirements of umbrella organizations.
The Peaks Place and the CLEANPEAK initiative
More mindfulness and cleanliness in nature
The Peaks Place participates in the initiative CLEANPEAK!
Cleanpeak is committed to a clean and healthy alpine environment. Together with Cleanpeak we enable our guests to have a positive experience and at the same time ensure more mindfulness and cleanliness in nature.
There are so-called «Cleanbags» distributed in the apartments. With these Cleanbags our guests are encouraged to collect waste during their stay in nature and to hand it in at Peaks Place. As a small thank you, the guest receives a tasty snack at the restaurant s’nani for every cleanbag he hands in at the reception and can participate in the competition via a QR code.
Questions about the initiative
The Cleanbag is made of recycled material. We have thought hard about which material to use for our Cleanbag with the help of experts. The Cleanbag is not intended for multiple use, so recycled plastic is the most sustainable option. Over the entire cycle (raw material creation, production, life cycle, disposal) this is currently the solution with the smallest CO2 footprint. But you can be sure that we are working on alternatives!
- You are out in nature, whether as a biker, trail runner or hiker, and discover trash on the ground?
- Pick up the trash, put it in the Cleanbag and bring the filled bag back to the Peaks Place.
- As a thank you, a small surprise (coffee with cake) is waiting for you.
- Share your engagement and success on Instagram using #cleanpeak and #peaksplace.
- Take part in the additional competition (via the QR code) and win the main prize (a weekend for 2 people at Peaks Place).
You can – but that’s absolutely not the point. We appeal to fair play and sportsmanship. We want more cleanliness in the Alps and to raise awareness! If you plan to collect your own waste into the Cleanbag, better leave the Cleanbag in the room for the next guest.
1. Nature and landscape
We are aware of the central role of a high landscape and architectural quality for attractive tourism and use these opportunities in the development of offers and in marketing. We respect sensitive natural areas and protected areas, promote biodiversity, concentrate tourism projects on less sensitive areas and contribute to sustainable spatial development.
2. Water, air and soil
We are continuously increasing resource efficiency, especially in the use of natural resources such as water, air and soil.
3. Energy and climate
We optimize energy consumption through conscious procurement and investment decisions, promote renewable energy sources and reduce climate-damaging emissions.
We support attractive multimodal and environmentally friendly mobility offers for the benefit of our guests and to reduce environmental pollution.
We minimize waste through avoidance, reduction, recycling and separate disposal.
6. Population and culture
We help to strengthen the regional identity as well as regional cycles. We involve the local population in our projects, promote the regional culture and enable the exchange between the guests and the population.
7. Specific guest needs
We cater to specific guest needs, taking particular account of family friendliness, accessibility or food intolerances, and are constantly adding to our offerings.
8. Working conditions and equal opportunities
We offer fair working conditions, optimize the employment level of our employees, promote both participation and further training of our employees, pay attention to equal opportunities as well as work-life balance and contribute to social and intercultural integration.Discover the team
9. Guest information and hospitality
We let our guests experience sustainability, inform them about our efforts in this regard, encourage them to behave considerately and surprise them with our courteous hospitality. For example, through our participation in the initiative «Clean Peaks – for clean Alps».More about «Clean Peaks»
10. Market cultivation
We consider the ecological impact of travel in our market development, strengthen local markets and strive for a balanced guest mix.
11. Workplaces and cooperations
We are actively committed to the further development of tourism as an important livelihood, offer attractive jobs, comply with collective employment agreements, behave cooperatively and maintain fair partnerships.
12. Innovations and profitability
We promote sustainable innovations, develop adequate profitability, and consider economic viability as well as environmental and social compatibility when making investments.
Sustainability at Peaks Place Laax
Questions and answers
If you are a guest looking for sustainable offers, you are often lost in the existing jungle of labels. We want to counteract this with the Swisstainable program.
Because the sustainability program «Swisstainable» is not intended to create a new certification, but rather to give you as a guest more orientation. At the same time, we want to be part of the movement in which the entire Swiss hotel industry can participate. For this purpose, a criteria grid was developed, according to which offers are inventoried and awarded with a three-level signet.
After all, sustainability has been shaping Switzerland for decades. Whether it is the intensive use of hydropower, the high environmental awareness of the population – or the early and comprehensive expansion of public transport, which illustrates what sustainability looks like in Swiss tourism: built for the regional population, used by guests from all over the world. To this, the Peaks Place would like to make its contribution.
There are 3 levels:
Level III – leading: Level III companies have a comprehensive, recognized verificationof sustainability that covers all dimensions of sustainability and is regularly externally verified.
Level II – engaged: Level II companies are committed to sustainable corporate management and ongoing development in the area of sustainability. In addition, these operations have a recognized verification in at least one sustainability dimension.
Level I – committed: Level I companies are committed to sustainable corporate management and continuously develop their operations in the direction of sustainability.
Energy and heat savings are being implemented across the entire hotel based on recommendations from Hotellerie Switzerland and other external experts. Here is an extract of the current measures:
- Optimized, dynamic operating hours at La Senda Wellness and Spa.
- Restaurant s’nani as the first regio.garantie-certified restaurant in Switzerland. Approach: «brutally local»
- Hotel shuttle replaced by fully electric premium van from Mercedes
- Collaboration with regional partners and handicraft businesses
- Housekeeping: Optimized use of cleaning agents
- Increased efficiency through external, professional laundry service (CO2 reduced and ecovadis-certified operation in the region)
- No daily room cleaning and towel change, only on request
- Conversion of lighting to LED lamps incl. underground car park
- Use of a pellet heating system, electricity from Swiss hydropower
- Reduction of printed matter (administration and communication)
- Restautant: Any food leftovers are collected and processed into bio gas
- Sportivity: Promotion of soft sports, such as guided snowshoe hikes.
- Focus on local markets such as Switzerland and southern Germany
- Recycling station in the house for guests and owners
- Sowing of regional wildflowers on the hotel grounds
The following measures are planned for the future:
- Communicative sensitization of guests and employees for the topic of sustainability and the above-mentioned measures already implemented.
- Motivation of guests to make their own contribution for the topic of sustainability in the course of their trip (arrival and departure, stay at the hotel and the destination, etc.)
- Complete lighting concept changed over to LED illuminants.
- Constructional adaptations: E.g. installation in the wellness area for optimized operating times, solar system
- Adjustments in heat management as well as in corresponding monitoring and controlling measures
- Clarify mobility needs and savings potential: Conversion to e-shuttle bus in hotel.
- Bee & insect hotel is planned for 2023
Not at the moment. But we are doing our best to ensure that this will be the case in the near future.